Sunday, February 5, 2012

First Seeds of 2012



My seeds from Seed Savers Exchange arrived on Friday! In case you haven't heard about them, they're a non-profit with the mission of saving and sharing heirloom seeds. So they have both "normal" varieties and some really strange ones. I've started forming my list of favorite varieties that work well for me. Some of them are in this picture. But each year I try to experiment with at least one new thing.

The rest of the seeds that I'll use this year are leftover from last year or still on order. But I'll do new posts once they come in and I start doing things with the seeds. Even though its warm outside, the soil is still cold so I'll be starting most of my stuff inside again. But for some cold hardy veggies, you can go ahead and plant now. I'm not planting carrots so radishes will be the first seeds that go into the ground in our garden this year. And if you haven't planted these or other really small seeds that have a suggested spacing for direct sowing (planting seeds straight in the ground), you should know that getting the correct spacing is a pain. So folks have figured out ways around it.



You can purchase pre-made seed tapes like the ones sold at Gardeners Supply. I'm not recommending those because you can make them yourself but in case you're curious, check it out.

To make your own seed tape, cut strips of newspaper about 1 inch wide and lay it on a flat surface next to a ruler. Then dab (I use my finger) a small bit of flour paste (mix flour and water so its about the consistency of glue) at the spacing called for on the seed packet. My radishes call for being sown 1 inch apart so that's the spacing I used here. Then drop a seed on each dot of paste and let the tapes dry. They plant them at the depth designated on your seed packet.

No comments:

Post a Comment