Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

Last year I didn't do a great job of blogging- I'll admit it. Many of the things I did in the garden were the same or similar to the previous year. And I don't like being repetitive. But I did take some pictures and I'll work to catch up as the garden slumbers through the winter.

This year we started off in locavore style for our new year's meal that will hopefully bring us luck and money in 2012. Because I've been spending more time this year cooking and preserving my harvest (and that others) it seems fitting to share our cooking adventure with y'all.



Menu:
sweet potato biscuits (with sweet potatoes from my grandad's farm)
hoppin' john (with peas from the Cranford Sr. garden)
greens (from the Heeks Family Farm)
flounder (caught by my uncle)

As much as I'd like, we don't always cook this straight out of the garden/ocean. But when it does happen, I like knowing that I'm eating things grown/caught by people I know and love.

In case you didn't know, I've been doing some work with the Heeks Family Farm in northern Durham County. So far I've worked on the actual farm, which uses organic practices but isn't certified organic, and am currently selling their produce at the Carrboro Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. If you're around, stop by and say hello :) And I'll try to do a post about the farm sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment