Sunday, November 28, 2010

Helping Friends I Don't Know and Other Updates



The other day, Caela helped me make a connection between my self proclaimed "friend supported agriculture" and my most recent efforts to organize people here to help others. She is doing her anthropology field work in St. Lucia where Hurricane Tomas recently caused significant damage to the island. People there are currently searching for water and working to figure out when they will have sources of income again.

One of the supplies they expressed a need for was seeds. This way they can plant gardens to feed their families in the upcoming months as they get back on their feet, replant farms, and excavate their houses after landslides.

In response, I went down to a and asked for their help. Not only were their seed packets marked down to half off but they generously offered to help me find any seeds I needed. To say the least, I was happy to see my many hours and dollars spent there result in their willingness to help me help others. And as a gardener, I feel very strongly in empowering and enabling otheres to grow their own. That's why I started this blog after all!



As an update on my garden, it is now put "to bed" for the winter. Based on my observations this morning, it looks like last night was the first killing frost of the year. Considering that it's late November, that is pretty remarkable. Luckily I pulled out the rest of my tomato and basil plants yesterday so nothing went to waste. Now I just need to do something with the green tomatoes and basil on my counter...

No comments:

Post a Comment